How to Avoid Oily Skin: Your Summer Guide
Summer is all fun and games until you start sweating.
We all know the cycle: heat leads to sweat, and sweat leads to breakouts. The bad news is that sweat is unavoidable when it’s hot. The good news is that the oily skin we so often get from it can be avoided with the right steps!
What Causes Oily Skin
The following are the common causes of oily skin:
- Hormonal change
- Unhealthy or unbalanced diet
- Humidity and hot climates
Typically, none of these exist in a vacuum. Chances are your oily skin can be blamed on a combination of several of these factors, only some of which you can control. Rather than stressing over your genetics, focus on taking actionable steps!
4 Oily Skin Remedies You Can Do at Home
1. Blotting Papers
Everyone should add blotting paper to their travelling makeup bag. These thin rectangular papers absorb the excess sebum on your skin and minimize facial shine. The key is to use the blotting paper until your skin stops leaving residue.
2. Natural Face Masks
Natural face masks are cruelty-free remedies you can create with just a few ingredients. Here are some ideas:
- Oatmeal – Ground your oatmeal and use it to create a mask. It is high in fibre and contains anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe sensitive skin.
- Honey – Say goodbye to oily skin and get rid of acne by using honey as a face mask. This reduces the excessive sebum production and soothes the redness on your face.
- Aloe vera – The plant’s dew contains a natural astringent that can absorb excess oils and impurities from your face.
3. Bentonite Clay Mask
Another home remedy to try is a bentonite clay mask. This type of face mask absorbs excess oil, reduces the appearance of pores, and contains anti-inflammatory properties. All you need to do is buy a bentonite powder and mix it with apple cider vinegar!
4. Follow a Summer Skincare Routine
A proactive routine that incorporates summer skincare products is essential to controlling excess sebum on your face. Make it a habit to wash your face twice a day, apply toner, and moisturize to keep your skin free from oils.
Oily Skin Products Perfect For Summer
Now, it’s time to roll out the must-haves! We’ve compiled a list of oily skin products perfect for every step of your summer skincare routine:
Oily skin needs cleansers that aren’t too abrasive. Go for something soothing and gentle yet still effective like AlumierMD’s Purifying Gel Cleanser.
If you want to address oiliness and acne at once, try the Acne Clarifying Cleanser. It contains salicylic acid to penetrate your pores and heal your skin.
After cleansing, clean up your pores with a toner for oily skin. Look for products with ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids (AHA), astringents, and clay. Combined, these can reach deep into your pores, tighten them, and refresh your skin.
Since oily skin is more prone to acne development, hyperpigmentation, and wrinkle formation, you need the right serums. Here are three to add to your routine:
- Acne Balancing Serum – Eliminate acne with this trusty serum. Its lightweight consistency allows your skin to breathe and heal, leaving no marks on your face.
- Matticlear – Remove that oily skin shine with AlumierMD’s Matticlear! It’s an oil-absorbing serum that leaves your skin with a matte finish.
- Retinol Resurfacing Serum – Applying a retinol serum with encapsulated salicylic acid will help reduce signs of aging and acne blemishes.
Even when your skin produces lots of oil, moisturizing is still necessary. Check out AlumierMD’s HydraClarité; this lightweight, non-comedogenic moisturizer hydrates your skin and unclogs your pores.
Protect your skin from the UVA and UVB rays of the sun by applying sunscreen. Since an oily face is sensitive to thick consistencies, wear a lightweight sunscreen like AlumierMD’s Clear Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 42.
Get Glowy, Not Oily at Harmony Med Spa
Learning how to avoid oily skin is easy with the right habits and products. As you’ve come to understand from reading this article, there are several oily skin remedies you can start practicing at home to get better results this summer.
However, when it comes to oily skin products, your skin deserves the best, award-winning offerings from AlumierMD. Harmony Med Spa can give you exclusive access to their line of products designed to remove excess sebum and rejuvenate skin. The best part is, on every order, you receive FREE shipping.